Monday, September 21, 2009

Sun? Wind? No! We need Conservation and Efficiency!!

Just this last week, I had the opportunity to attend the Asian Youth Energy Summit at the National University of Singapore. There were many very riveting speakers at this event including a number of solar, wind, biofuels (from algae even!) and other various types of renewable energy proponents. However, one thing that struck me as odd and even frightening was the virtually complete lack of discussion about the DEMAND side of the energy issue. I believe that everyone left the event believing that solar and wind power is going to save the human race... the issue that we face is that for every wind turbine that is put up in the world - there are hundreds of poorly constructed buildings that will excessively consume the clean energy produced and then some.

This issue has prompted me to change my banner to reflect a few simple statistics that I quickly found in the Building Energy Data Book and the Dept of Energy's Energy Information Administration (simply two of the greatest sources of world energy statistics). One can see the scale by which the PROJECTED energy production and consumption differ with regards to the two most touted renewable energy schemes as compared to the actual building energy consumption. I have no beef with the sun and wind people - I just think that we're hyping that portion of the solution up way too much.

How can we bring conservation and efficiency to the forefront of the energy debate?! How can we make it as "sexy" as solar panels and wind turbines? How can we actually achieve a 5-10% energy efficiency reduction for the 2030 building energy predictions? And how do we get designers and owners to value ACTUAL energy savings as opposed to just those on paper or in a simulation program?

I have some ideas. I'm sure you have some ideas. Let's figure it out!!

Below I've created a few simple graphs giving some breakdowns of the supply vs demand comparisons:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Who am I?

My photo
I'm a building energy engineer spending the year on a Fulbright Grant in Singapore. My focus in is building energy optimization and HVAC technologies. This is not an official Dept of State website or blog. The views and information presented does not represent the Fulbright Program or the US Dept of State.

Followers